- Excitement for joy: speed for growth
- Sex for love: emotional longings for deep commitment
- Politics for leadership:
democracy for the Kingdom, freedom for liberty.
- The economy for abundant life: the economic system replaces God’s system of giving and sharing, it is named Mammon.
- Entertainment for worship and testimony: This is even true of most “worship bands” in modern churches today.
- Fashion for beauty:
sexual enticement for the glory of love.
- Style for character: Peter explained this best when talking to women [but it applies equally to men]
Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear (dcb: style) but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. (dcb: character) [1 Peter 3:3–4 esv]
This list goes on and on. You can add those you notice as you gain experience.
—Quoted from The Wife of Jesus
David Bergsland, 2016